Project Nursery: Sew Fun!

Thursday, August 27, 2015

After looking through Etsy and other websites numerous times for changing pad covers and decorative pillows, I have decided to take the plunge and sew my own! Most of the ones I really liked on Etsy are well over $30! Seriously!? Why so expensive? Haha! Since John has fixed my sewing machine the other day, I went to Joann's Fabric recently and bought fabrics! I bought one for a changing pad cover, two pillow cases, a banner type wall art I plan on doing, three fabrics for the hot air balloon mobile John wants to make, and baby blanket. After discounts and a coupon, I spent $25 for all these fabrics! If only Joann's fabric had more designs that I really liked would be more convenient because I could use coupons and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping! I did find some patterns that would work well in the nursery. As soon as I got home, I threw all the fabric in the washer, dried them, and ironed them so they'll be ready for me to work on the next day! 

Pillow Case Covers: 

I went ahead and started doing these first because I've done several of them before! These are easy peasy! If you guys didn't know, Im not an expert when it comes to sewing! Im very much a beginner! I got 1/2 a yard of the Mutli-Expedition Map fabric and 1 yard of that natural colored muslin. I got a yard of the muslin because I will be using some of the left over fabric for the wall banner I'm making. I already had extra pillows laying around the house so it was perfect! For the muslin one, I decided to draw out a compass, sorta. I just used a sharpie. Ghetto fab! I didnt have black fabric paint! Im not very artistic so I kept it simple. It's not perfect. I made the arrows to wide. Woops! But it'll do!

Total cost for both: $7.00

DIY Pillow Case Tutorial found here.  -- This tutorial was the easiest I found, no need for zippers! 

Changing Pad Cover:

As I've mentioned, we repurposed a dresser that was going serve as a changing table as well. I purchased the changing pad from Babies R Us (off our registry) this past weekend and needed a cover. I know they sell some in store, but none that caught my attention. I wasn't sure what pattern I was going to find at Joann's for it, but I wanted something cheap to try out since I've never made it before. Now that I know how to make it, I might splurge on a pricier fabric with the design I like! It still beats paying $40+ for custom made ones on etsy! When I can find fabrics in the patterns I like for $9-15. I made this one just a tad to tight. I ended up buying 1.25 yards, bad idea because I needed a 48" x 32" of fabric! I only had 44" x 35" at least now I know! So I'm definitely going to be making a few more! It took me about an hour to make this only because I had one of those pregnancy brain moments where I couldn't figure out how she ironed the flaps for the elastic! Once I figured it out, I was like "duh Jenn!"

Materials needed: 1.5 yard of fabric, 1/2 or 5/8 inch elastic @ 36" long, measuring tape, scissors, pins, sewing machine, safety pin (to get the elastic through the flap)

Total Spent: $9.50 

Changing Pad Cover Tutorial found here. 

Knowing how to make something as simple as these really saved me a lot of money! I am still so glad John got me that sewing machine for Valentines day 5 years ago! It took me a while to finally put it to use, but once I figured out how to use it, it was a game changer! I even taught John how to use the sewing machine so that he can sew on his own patches for his uniform! Now I never have to do it again! He's actually pretty good at it! 


You Might Also Like